Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vinyasa Yoga


          Vinyasa Yoga

           Like any culture, yoga is seen to have its own set of beliefs, values, and religions. Some of the main goals of yoga is to clear the mind and not to get attached to the body. Within the culture of yoga, there are a numerous amount of subcultures embedded in it. Each style is unique and practiced differently. For this assignment, I chose to focus on the culture of Vinyasa yoga. This specific type of yoga focuses intensely on the importance of breathing while holding each pose longer than one normally would. Through my experience of practicing Vinyasa yoga, I was also able to become familiar with the meaning and theories behind this wonderful style of yoga.   
            When deciding which site I should go to for this assignment, I initially had two or three places in mind. The real issue I had was choosing which one would be the best choice for this assignment. After much research into each of the sites, I decided that the Karma Yoga Studio in Harvard Square would be the best fit for me.  What initially drew me in was that it is located in a great area, and their website really gave a great overview of how each class was structured.
            The Karma Yoga Studio is located in three different areas. There is a studio located in Harvard Square, the South End, and Allston. These studios focus on looking at fitness as a whole. They provide individuals with either private or group classes taught by experienced and certified instructors. The population that these studios serve are mainly teenagers and adults. There are many special offers and discounts for students around the area. The Karma Yoga Studio’s main goals are to allow individuals to find enlightenment, clear the mind, and alter one’s body or “sarira”. They work to improve our planet through acknowledgment of issues within humanity, animals, and our environment.
Also, they believe that care for one’s self as well as care for the environment is the key to good health. These studios offer an eclectic group of yoga styles. They offer Anusara yoga, Forrest Yoga, Hatha Yoga, Kundalini Yoga, Yin Yoga, Power Yoga, as well as many other styles. In addition to yoga, they also offer Bollywood dance classes and Chi Kung, a Chinese exercise similar to yoga that incorporates breath work, and meditation while in a standing position. 
            The style of yoga that I focused on was Vinyasa flow yoga. In this class, every level of experience was welcomed. The class incorporates various amounts of breathing exercises while transitioning from pose to pose. Between each pose, one is to go into Downward Facing Dog, which is seen to be the “resting pose”. Within each pose, one is encouraged to hold it for a longer time than a standard pose should be held. This is done with the motive to improve one’s balance and help with one’s configuration of the body. It is also seen to help with posture and flexibility. In addition, it can also strengthen one’s body by the use of muscles that aren’t regularly used. This can leave an individual feeling re-energized by the end of the practice.
After experiencing my first class of Vinyasa yoga, I felt inspired to find some background information on what exactly this branch of yoga is, the history behind it, and how it has developed to be so popular and still practiced today. While doing some research, I found that this branch of yoga originated from the sacred Yogi, Sri Ramamohan Brahmachari. This Yogi spent much of his life living inside a cave in the Himalayas and only had fruit as his form of nutrition. He was one of the many Hatha Yogis of the 19th century that had been chosen to teach about Hatha yoga. Sri Tirumala Krishnamacharya, a well-known Guru spent about seven years studying with Brahmachari.
In the duration of this time, he perfected the skills in this branch of yoga as well as gaining powers that were seen to be incredibly unique. After a couple of years had passed, Krishnamacharya was given a spot in one of his friend’s palace to teach yoga to others. It was through that experience that different branches of Vinyasa yoga began to be introduced and taught to individuals. It wasn’t until about forty years later when it was known to be a form of yoga in the West.
I also found that the word vinyasa is seen to have four basic meanings. It is understood to be the connection between the breath and the movement of the body, the breath work in between each posture, creating an individual purpose or meaning for one’s self throughout the practice, and lastly, a type of yoga practice that is widely taught. When breaking up the word vinyasa it can be seen into two different parts. Vi means, “in a special way” and Nyasa means, “to place”. Some of the most common poses in this practice are the Twisted Hip Pigeon Bow, Warrior 2 Side Triangle, and the Scorpion
Vinyasa. All of these poses require great balance and composure as well as a steady, calm breath.
With all of the theories of this style of yoga, there are specific aspects that can be seen as the basis for the practice. One of the most important key points Vinyasa yoga stresses is the breath. Learning to tune out all distractions and focus on the breath moving throughout the body allows one to be able to sit further into each pose they are performing. Becoming internally aware of the pace of the breath can almost be seen as a distraction from trying to perform the pose correctly. An ideal breath pace is a steady, unrushed inhale and exhale. The breath should be calm and relaxed. By doing this, it can further one’s development in creating a strong connection to his or her body. This is also referred to as asana.  
Having the opportunity to practice Vinyasa yoga myself, I noticed a couple of differences from the Hatha yoga that we practice in class. The Vinyasa class that I attended seemed to be incredibly fast-paced, whereas in the in-class practices, I feel as though everything is at a much slower pace, and there is much more meditation involved. I also feel that the importance of breathing throughout the practice is stressed a lot more throughout Vinyasa yoga.
One of the biggest things that stood out to me throughout my experience in the class at Karma Yoga was that the class itself was incredibly Americanized. I wasn’t sure if it was just the instructors way of teaching the class, but it seemed as though the main purpose or goal of that class was to get in shape or get a better body. The instructor kept on making comments on how to get a “tighter butt”, or how to tone certain parts of the body throughout the practice. In the moment, I didn’t really find myself noticing these things. It wasn’t until after I left the class that I came to the realization that the class didn’t seem to be properly executed.
 I suspect that the instructor may have possibly set up the class that way to make it sound more appealing to individuals. This is because in our culture, body image is everything. We see ad’s constantly promoting the newest fat burning pills, or stick-thin models portrayed as having the “ideal body”. By describing Vinyasa yoga as a great form of exercise to lose weight, it will more than likely draw in a greater amount of people than if one were to say that this style of yoga could result in forming a better connection between the mind, body, and spirit.
            Also, the class seemed to move at an extremely fast past. When I was reading the class description, I was under the impression that the transition from pose to pose would be slow. I may be biased being a beginner at yoga, but I felt as though the class was more of a power yoga class rather than a flow yoga class. With a couple other yoga classes that I have gone to, one is allowed to go into Child Pose when needed, but with this class, the instructor did not recommend or praise it. I believe this is what made the class harder for me because I felt as though I didn’t really have any time to rest or focus on my breathing throughout the practice because I was just so focused on my exhaustion.
Overall, even though the class wasn’t what I expected, I still enjoyed the experience. I was able to try out a new style of yoga, and learn about the culture in addition to the practice. Being able to learn the culture made me more aware of the different forms of yoga that there are. It also made me appreciate how sacred the distinctive cultures of yoga are seen to be to others. In the future, I would like to try out another Vinyasa yoga class. I’m curious to see if my second class will be taught the same way as my first class, or it will be approached differently in a way that I will gravitate more towards.
  
      
Class Descriptions. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.karmayogastudio.com/classdescriptions/
Gaspar, L. (n.d.) The Many Nuances of Vinyasa. Retrieved from http://www.yogachicago.com/nov03/vinyasa.shtml
Giubarelli, M. (n.d.) History of Vinyasa Yoga. Retrieved from         http://www.yogacards.com/vinyasa_yoga/history-of-vinyasa-yoga.html
Giubarelli, M. (n.d.) Vinyasa Yoga. Retrieved from http://www.yogacards.com/Vinyasa.html
Pizer, A. (2010, May 14). Vinyasa. Retrieved from  http://yoga.about.com/od/howtospeakyoga/g/vinyasa.htm
Pizer, A. (2011, August 21). Vinyasa Yoga- Flow Yoga. Retrieved from      http://yoga.about.com/od/typesofyoga/a/vinyasa.htm
Welcome To Karma. (n.d.) Retrieved from http://www.karmayogastudio.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment