Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Yoga Midterm Paper





Yoga in Suburban America
Rebecca Morse
Lesley University
CSOCS 3452


 
Introduction
            Yoga is an experience designed to stretch the mind, body and soul. Though I am very new to yoga, this has happened for me already, on all accounts. When this midterm project was proposed, I was excited to begin exploring different yoga studios in my area. I hoped to continue a yoga practice outside of school. I felt like yoga could add to my education in counseling and guide me through some much desired lifestyle changes. Because of this I was eager to find a studio which I loved. Though I was excited to find a studio, something held me back from actually going to a class for a very long time. I began my search for the perfect studio when we received our syllabi on the first day of class. As I searched through what seemed like thousands of studios around me I knocked off studio after studio. One looked too posh, another too run down. Another studio did not make the cut because the classes looked too easy, but the next sounded much too challenging. I tried, and failed a few different times to attend different classes around Cambridge and Somerville. Finally, the Sunday before this paper was due rolled around, and I still had not made it to a studio. Putting things like this off is very unusual for me, and I was beginning to panic. I was home for the weekend, so I found the closest yoga studio to my house and I dropped in on their 9:30 am Prana Flow class. The studio that I went to, Union Studio Yoga in Andover, was a thoroughly different experience than the yoga which we have practiced in class. I don’t know that I’ve found my dream studio, but I am glad that I finally went. 

Union Studio Yoga
            Union Studio Yoga is a small yoga studio in a building known for its fitness centers. According to their website, the studio presents a philosophy based on tradition. They emphasis a yoga practice built on the pillars of exercise, breathing, and meditation. Union Studio aims to bring together a variety of styles and intensities in their class offerings in order to “create a true union of teachers, students, and community,” ("Union yoga studio").
            The studio promotes a holistic approach in their teaching. They define this as an emphasis on the relationship between a strong body and a calm mind ("Union yoga studio"). They also support yoga as a non-competitive activity. Students are encouraged to stay within their limits, without any pressure to compete or overexert themselves ("Union yoga studio").
            In reality, the studio has a very cosmopolitan vibe. Upon entry I had a feeling that the holistic approach advertised on their website might take a backseat to maintaining the image of a fit and athletic yogi. The classes offered were in keeping with this deduction. The classes tend to focus on fitness and strength training. I spoke with the instructor of the class which I attended about different class offerings. He said that classes tended to be Iyengar based, or focused on alignment (Urban, 2012). Classes offered include a number of Vinyasa and Prana Flow classes as well as core training, pre-natal yoga, and therapeutic yoga classes. The studio also offers a number of workshops ranging from mindfulness to introductory yoga (“Union yoga studio”).

The Class
            The class which I attended was taught by Jerry Urban, a registered yoga instructor who is originally from Los Angeles. He began his career as a weight lifter, and added yoga as a compliment to his fitness routine. He began to study and teach yoga in New England following Shiva Rea’s Prana Flow practice (Prana Flow, 2012). I found that understanding his background helped me to better understand the class and Jerry’s teaching style.
            Though Jerry is not a tall man, he certainly holds a dominant presence in the room. He is well built, with a distinct beard and tattoos down his arms and legs. He is not the kind of teacher who would appear on the cover of “Yoga Journal.” The women who attended the class however would not have been out of place in the magazine.
      Prana Flow is a practice derived from the Vinyasa style of yoga. It is an energetic and fluid approach to yoga which encourages growth through the use of rhythm and creativity. The object of Prana Flow is to allow students to experience prana, or “the universal source of breath, life-energy, and conscious intelligence,” (Prana Flow, 2012).
The Prana Flow class which I attended opened with energetic music and a very social atmosphere. The women in the group talked to each other throughout the majority of the practice. They commented on not only how strenuous the exercise was, but also on their recent ski vacations, childrens’ hockey tournaments, and their husband’s upcoming galas. The instructor was very jovial and joked with them throughout the session. As he led the yoga practice, he focused on breath-work and alignment. He encouraged the use of props in order to achieve perfection within the poses. He spent most of his time correcting my posture and alignment, pushing me far past where I was comfortable.
            The poses were clearly rooted in yoga, but many felt Americanized. For much of the class I felt like I was at a sports practice, rather than a yoga class. We began in Balasana, or child’s pose, and moved into Adho Mukha Svanasana, or downward facing dog, (Yoga Poses Alphabetically, 2011). From here each pose flowed into the next, and there were no moments of stillness in a pose. The instructor guided us into a number of variations of planks as well as variations of the warrior pose (Virahadrasana I, II, and III) and the pigeon pose (Eka Pada Rajakapotasana), as well as a number of others, (Yoga Poses Alphabetically, 2011). The poses flowed in and out of each other. They were repetitive and ever changing. He focused on stomach muscles and upper body strength.
The practice was very demanding and the instructor clearly pushed each of the students to their limit. Some of the students who were very comfortable with the poses and were able to achieve perfect and proper alignment were pushed to lengthen farther, or invert their feet a different direction than usual. Since this was my first time experiencing many of the poses, I was stretched to twist my body and maintain correct posture. I was surprised by how much the class focused on body over mind. At the end of the class we spent only three minutes in relaxation. During this time Jerry talked about the importance of being okay with where you are at in your practice.


Yoga in Suburbia
During the class, Jerry named all of the poses in English as we went through them. He also named many in Sanskrit. The women in the class joked about this. They told Jerry that he was being “fake,” and “showing off.” I was struck by this, as Sanskrit is yoga’s language of origin. In class we have talked about what it means to practice yoga in America. Western culture certainly shapes yoga in America and yoga has evolved into a very different form.  The idea of yoga for physical fitness has become prevalent over yoga for mindfulness. Yoga has become an American franchise in part because it is notoriously “photogenic” and “sensual” (“More on the commodification of yoga”, 2003).
In the studio where I attended yoga class it was easy to see the commercialization of yoga.  In speaking with the women who attended the class, it seemed to me that they used yoga in order to get fit and as a social experience, more than as a mindfulness technique. They said that they generally attended the same classes each week, and that they attended three to four classes a week. The women in the class all knew each other and there was a sense of camaraderie and community within the circle.
Based on my understanding of yoga up until the Prana Flow class, I expected a class where we may or may not have experienced a vigorous workout followed by a significant period of guided relaxation. The women who attended the class, however, did so with the expectation that they would receive an exciting and intense physical workout, and that there would be a short relaxation period at the end of the workout. This difference in practices may have resulted from a variety of causes. The more cosmopolitan atmosphere presented by Union Studio Yoga could create a different way of thinking about yoga than is presented at Lesley University. Yoga in this class was certainly more fitness oriented, however, the argument could be made that the women in the class stretched their bodies and in doing this stretched their minds.
 Conclusion
            Although I am not far into the semester, I am amazed at how relevant yoga has become to my life. Each class I find myself connecting to the theories on a personal, professional, and spiritual level. Yoga is certainly a practice which I will continue to carry throughout my life and one which I hope to mold into my practice as a clinician. The yoga class which I attended opened my eyes to a different face of yoga. It lacked the spiritual aspect which I find so dear in yoga and to which I am becoming acquainted with in class. The Prana Flow class did however stretch me to my limit physically and force me beyond my comfort zone. I would love to find a mix of this as I continue to practice and further my knowledge of yoga.  

Sources
More on the Commodification of Yoga--or the Evolution/Devolution of Yoga in America and Abroad. (2003). Yoga Studies, 12.
Union Studio Yoga. (2012). Prana Flow with Jerry Urban [Brochure]. Andover, MA: Union Studio Yoga.
Union studio yoga. (2012). Retrieved from http://unionstudioyoga.com/
Urban, J. (2012, February 26). Interview by R Morse [Personal Interview].
Yoga poses alphabetically by sanskrit names. In (2011). The New York Times Company. Retrieved from http://yoga.about.com/od/yogaposenamesinsanskrit/Yoga_Poses_Alphabetically_by_Sanskrit_Names.htm



No comments:

Post a Comment