Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Vinyasa Yoga


Megan Delano
Midterm: Vinyasa Yoga
            For about three years now I have practiced yoga that focuses on breath work and meditation. I attended classes to clear my mind and really be in touch with my body. I was not aware of much of the background of yogic practices but found it relaxing and helpful to relieve stress. All of the classes I have taken focused on static poses in relaxing settings that usually included calming music and dim lighting. I had never experienced, never mind be aware of, any other time of yoga that there was until I began this class.
Because of this class I have really began looking into yoga practices with different focuses or purposes. I found myself really interested in Vinyasa yoga and the idea that the poses could be turned into movements. After looking into literature about Vinyasa yoga I was still left wondering what the purpose and history behind Vynasa yoga really was. I discovered that the word Vinyasa is loosely translated to “breath synchronized movement.” I liked the idea that all the movements were intertwined by breath in a way that almost creates a dance. Another key factor in Vinyasa yoga is bandha. This is a focus on muscle contracting or locking that sends out energy throughout the body and ties it together with the synchronized motion of breath. I was so used to yoga that focused on postures and taking moments to acknowledge what was going on throughout the body.
I was excited more than anything to expand my knowledge of yoga by actually going out and trying something new.  For this project I decided to go to Karma yoga in Harvard Square. I chose this studio because of its location and also the good reviews I had heard from others.  I began my search by looking up the classes that each studio had to offer. The classes were listed for all levels and I did not think that I would have any trouble jumping into the class. I noticed that some of the classes were strictly for beginners but I was not sure how different a beginner class would be from one that was entitled for “all levels”.  I assumed I could blend in with the rest of the class and easily fall into the movements. Little did I know that these movements were not only stretching, but actually involved a good amount of muscle that I quickly discovered I was lacking.
            The instructor was a welcoming woman who jumped right into things as soon as she got in the room. She was full of energy and drive to instruct the class. She has been practicing yoga for over 15 years and was certified in Hatha yoga in 2004. She soon after began training in Anusara. I learned that Anusara is a type of Hatha yoga that can be translated to “flowing with grace” or “flowing with nature.” The instructor of the class began by introducing herself and making sure she knew everyone’s names in the class. Of course she did not know my friend’s that had come with me because we were the only new people in the class or mine. Before getting into the practice, she explained to us how each year her teacher gives her a new focus for her classes throughout a year. This year the focus had been igniting something within whether it was little things as falling deeper into a pose or striving for a big goal you that you have always wanted to reach. This introduction really interested me because I began to think about why each person in the room was sitting in that yoga class. Were they there for exercise? Were they there for a clear mind? Or were they there because they were doing a research project like me?
            The class began with a meditation after the introduction. I attempted to clear my mind of any judgments or assumptions I had of the practice. I also wanted to clear my mind of my assumptions of the other people in class. I did not want to stress about being one of the only new people in the class.  I also did not want to stress about comparing this class to the traditional yoga we have learned about. I wanted to experience it before I analyzed it. I began focusing on breathing and kept in mind the idea of ignition.  We rose up into downward dog and were instructed to really stretch out while we were in the pose. I realized in that moment that I did not stretch much before the class but that normally was not an issue. In retrospect I definitely regret my lack of stretching.  The instructor explained the downward dog would be our “resting position.” This was definitely new to me because I was used to resting poses such as child’s pose.  I learned quickly that child’s pose was not taught, or allowed, in this instructor’s class, which made me quite nervous. I dreaded down ward facing dog for the entire session. When I researched more about this pose, I found it has mixed uses. Yoga Journal states that it is used to “energize the body.” But also it is used to “calm the brain.” I found this ironic because of the fact that it was considered a “resting pose” in class yet for me, it was the farthest thing from calm.
My lack of fitness was apparent as we pushed through poses that involved little support from our arms or legs and forced us to hold ourselves up by our core.  The stretches were not just reaching towards the sky; however, they seemed to be focused on really pushing one’s boundaries of strength and balance. I began to feel that I was not experiencing the flow and movement of the practice but rather an intense workout that I was not physically or mentally prepared for. I was sweating and my limbs were occasionally shaking. All that I could think of was how badly I wanted to fall into child’s pose and take a relaxing breath. I constantly found myself looking at the small digital clock that was on a table in the corner of the room. I was counting down the seconds until the class was over and I could take a break. My focus on the time took away from what I was ever supposed to get out of the class. During one of the pigeon poses, we were told to curl our toes under and lift through our thighs so that we were not resting on the ground. I thought I was doing it well and holding myself up but the instructor really wanted to push me. She put her ankles on either side of my back leg that was stretched out and pulled my hipbones higher. I felt the muscles in between my legs stretch more than I have ever felt before. It was not a good feeling but actually slightly unbearable. This left no room or mood for me to be in touch with my own mind. I was far from any form of meditation.
With minutes left of the class we finally laid down and focused on our breath. The instructor brought back the idea of igniting something within and I connected that with the intense sensations I felt throughout the class. I could not wait to get my things and walk off the class. As soon as I got outside my feelings changed. I felt refreshed and wanted to get more of the class. I did not ever think I could feel that way in the moment but the way I felt afterward changed my idea of the class. I realized I would attend another Vinyasa yoga class if I were looking to get a workout. However, that is all I really got out of the class. The idea of igniting something stuck with me however it made me more interested in working out than in meditation.
At one point during the class the instructor mentioned, “Really lift you’re hips up and put your ass in the air. Let’s be honest, we are all here to get great asses.” I have not stopped thinking about this quote since I left that class. Before taking Yoga Theory, Culture, and Practice, I would have thought nothing of this comment. However, after delving into the differences in yoga practices around the world and throughout time, I have thought about was that class meant to most of the people in it. The tradition and roots of yoga seemed to be taken away from the original Vinyasa philosophy when the importance of a nice body image replaced it. The idea of pushing the body’s limitations is still apparent in western practices. The goals seem to be different. Of course this is a broad assumption, but I did not feel the connection to anything spiritual during Vinyasa yoga.  This type of yoga does cover a very wide range of practices in yoga. Most of the style depends on the teacher of the class and what they choose to instruct.






Resources

Yoga journal. (2012). Retrieved from http://www.yogajournal.com/poses/491       

Pizer, Anne. (August 21, 2011). Vinyasa-Yoga, Flow Yoga . Retrieved (2012, February) from http://yoga.about.com/od/typesofyoga/a/vinyasa.htm
            

No comments:

Post a Comment