Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Karma Yoga Studio


Grace Kelley
Yoga Midterm
CSOCS 3452
10/10/12         
Accepting Imperfections; Karma Yoga Studio
            The practice of Yoga has become extremely popular in the United States. Many people have begun practicing yoga for a variety of reasons. There are many different types of yoga, which all provide certain benefits. In class we have practiced different styles of yoga, and incorporated different poses. We have also read about different types of practice and techniques. This project was a great way to extend what we are doing in class.
            I chose to go to a yoga class which was held at a Karma Yoga Studio. Karma Yoga Studio has three studio locations. I chose to go to the one in Harvard Square. Karma Yoga is an independent holistic fitness center ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.). The studio offers many different classes that focus on different styles of yoga. They also offer other holistic practices as well. Karma Yoga aims to provide a friendly atmosphere to practice yoga in, along with the guidance of experienced instructors.
            Karma Yoga is built around a certain set of ideas and values. They believe that a healing environment is necessary for the health and well-being of every individual ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.). Their goal is to help individuals transform and enlighten their mind, body, and spirit ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.). Karma Yoga is also extremely committed to creating a better world focusing on human, animal, and environmental issues ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.). The studio believes that in order to bring social change to the world, it has to be done through "compassion and non-violence" ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.).
            The studio serves a variety of individuals. Classes are available for students of every level. Karma Studio offers private lessons as well as group classes, workshops, and retreats. Because of the location, it seems to serve a population of people who are trying to find balance by incorporating yoga into their busy lives. Even though the three locations are in the city, they try to provide a more relaxed and serene facility. Karma Studio also tries to incorporate a more "eco friendly" style into their culture ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.).
            Karma Yoga Studio was founded by Jesse Winder in Cambridge in 2002 ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). He founded the studio in order to provide a center that offered a range of yoga classes and styles incorporating Eastern methods ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). Jesse studied with a certified physical therapist and Iyengar-trained yoga teacher, Kim Amlong, for over six years ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). He did this while developing the PhysioYoga method ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). This is a one of a kind yoga style that combines two very different approaches ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). It connects hatha yoga with modern-day sports medicine ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.). All of the ideas and beliefs that Karma Studio is based on are things that Jesse has invested a lot of time in, including justice issues and animal rights ("Karma Yoga Teachers" n.d.).
            I chose Karma Studio because of the location, but also because of their website. Their website offered a lot of information about their studio and the values they are based on. It seemed like a nice place to experience an outside yoga class. The ideas that they are based off of were very real and down to earth.
            I chose to attend the Anusara-Inspired yoga class, which was offered to students of all levels. The description on the website said that this type of yoga blends a spiritual context into the practice of yoga, through the celebration of the heart and the Universal Principles of Alignment ("Karma Yoga Home Page," n.d.). I really liked the values that this type of yoga was focused on, so I thought it would be great to try. I had the impression that the class would incorporate meditation and slow movements, along with a few more challenging poses. I thought the class would be a great experience, and would deepen my interest for different types of yoga.
            When I arrived to the studio, it seemed very inviting. When you walk in, there is a little cafe where you can get tea. The atmosphere was very relaxing and welcoming. It seemed like a nice place to sit and unwind in. It was a great first impression. It made me feel that the class would also have the same type of feeling. I went to the desk area, where I had to fill out some forms to be able to participate in the class. The person who was in charge of this came off a little cold, but I didn't pay much attention to it. After filling the forms out I was directed to the class, which was going to be held downstairs.
            I made my way down to the lower level of the studio. Shoes were to be removed outside of the room where the class would be held. I entered the room, which was dimly lit. It had a very serene atmosphere, and the smell of incense complimented that feeling.  The instructor came over and greeted me and asked where I was from. I told her that I attend Lesley and that as part of my yoga class we were required to try a new type of yoga class. She then talked to me about my experience with yoga. After that I was asked to get a block, a roller, and a blanket. I unrolled my mat and sat down. Looking around, I could see that the class was a diverse group. However, I think that I was the youngest one there. There were between ten and fifteen people in the class. The majority of the class seemed to be in their thirties or higher. There were mostly women, but a few men were there as well. Most of the members of the class were white.
            We began the class by stretching our backs along the rollers. I had never used a roller before, so that was something new for me. After that she played some music on this accordion/organ type of instrument. I really enjoyed this and felt that it set the tone for the class. We chanted Om as a group, and then moved into some yoga poses. We started with some twisting. She talked about the fall equinox which had just occurred and how it was important to twist to align the body. I found this very interesting and liked the fact that yoga can be connected to the shifts that occur in nature.
            The poses were not extremely fast paced, however some were challenging. The instructor came around and corrected me a few times. I found this to be really helpful because it allowed me to do the pose correctly. We did a lot of twists and stretches. She also told us to focus on opening up so that our bodies would not be so squished. The poses were often followed by downward dogs and planks. We also used the blocks. They were placed in between our legs, and then we moved our legs from side to side. After working on our mats, we then moved on to poses against the wall.
            We were instructed to move our mats against the wall so that we could use the wall for support. Everyone then did different types of inversions that involved moving and twisting the legs. I found this to be a little challenging, but gave it my best shot. It felt good for the most part, however there was one point I had to come out of the pose because it was straining my back. After that we moved on to hand stands against the wall. One of the variations of the pose was to make a "box" shape against the wall.  This was extremely frustrating for me. The instructor tried to explain how to do it, but I felt she was not giving me enough guidance. She explained that the other members in the class had been working on these for some time now, and that I shouldn't feel bad about not being able to do it. Even though I knew this was my first time trying these poses, I still felt intimidated.
            After the handstands we did a group meditation. We could choose any pose to meditate in. I decided to just lie on my back and close my eyes. During this meditation she played the accordion/organ instrument which she used at the beginning of the class. I really enjoyed this part. It helped to center myself, and not feel so bad in regards to the hand stands which I could not do. At the end we chanted Om as a group once more. It was a nice ending to the class.
            After I left Karma Yoga Studio, I couldn't help but feel a little disappointed. I knew it was my first time in a class like that, but I still felt bad that I could not do the handstands. When I can't do something, I often get very frustrated with myself. I tried to tell myself that it was not that big of a deal, but it did still affect me. This is an issue I have been trying to work on with myself. Now looking back on how I felt, I think it was good that I could not do certain poses. I need to remind myself that it is okay to not be able to do something. I am a beginner when it comes to practicing yoga, so it is only natural that I will not be able to do everything right the first time.
            After taking the Anusara inspired class, I then did the research on what Anusara yoga is based on. Before attending the class, I went on Karma Yoga website and read the description of the class. I got the impression that the class would be composed of slower movements and some meditation. After the class, I realized that for the most part, the description fit. However, some of the poses were more strenuous than I thought they would be.
            The Anusara inspired class is based on the ideas of the Anusara Yoga School. This school was developed by John Friend in 1997 (Anusara Inc., 2009). Anusara yoga is a type of hatha yoga (Anusara Inc., 2009). John created this style of yoga based on Iyengar yoga, mixed with Hindu elements of spirituality (Anusara Inc., 2009). The meaning of Anusara is, "flowing with grace and nature" and "following your heart" (Anusara Inc., 2009). It focuses on the "Universal Principles of Alignment" (Anusara Inc., 2009). It is an extremely popular form of yoga, and is practiced in over seventy countries (Anusara Inc., 2009). The main reason this form of yoga is so popular is because of the philosophy that Anusara focuses on.  The philosophy is based on a "celebration of the heart that looks for the good in all people and things" (Anusara Inc., 2009).  It is very focused on the importance of uniqueness, as well as creative freedom (Anusara Inc., 2009). The main purpose of practicing Anusara yoga is to "align with the Divine" (Anusara Inc., 2009). It is believed that when we "deepen our alignment with the Supreme, we step deeper into the flow of Grace" (Anusara Inc., 2009).
            The movements of every pose in Anusara are focused on the breath (Anusara Inc., 2009). Classes are all focused on a certain "heart related" theme (Anusara Inc., 2009). I found this to be very interesting, because at the beginning of class we focused on the theme of the autumnal equinox that had just occurred. The main purpose of Anusara yoga is for each individual to leave the class feeling empowered (Anusara Inc., 2009). This point was hard for me to connect with, because I left the class feeling frustrated with myself.
            Attending a new yoga class at Karma Yoga Studio was an eye opening experience. It was filled with mixed emotions. I was excited to try the new class, but felt very frustrated with myself when the class was over. After researching Anusara yoga and the theories it is based on, I would actually like to try a class again. I think this was a great learning experience for me, and trying this type of yoga again would be extremely beneficial.








Bibliography

Anusara Inc. (2009). About Anusara Yoga. Anusara. Retrieved from http://www.anusara.com/
             
            index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=68&Itemid=77

Anusara Inc. (2009). Methodology. Anusara. Retrieved from http://www.anusara.com/index.php
           
            ?option=com_content&view=article&id=62&Itemid=114

Karma Yoga Home Page. (n.d.). Karma. Retrieved from http://www.karmayogastudio.com

Karma Yoga Teachers. (n.d.).  Karma. Retrieved from http://karmayogastudio.com/teachers/




No comments:

Post a Comment