Thursday, March 1, 2012

Brianna Ehler


Brianna Ehler
February 23, 2012
CSOCS 3452 Yoga: Theory, Culture and Practice
                For this project, I chose to practice at Art and Soul Studio in Cambridge. This is an Iyengar based studio owned by Annie Hoffman and Billie Jo Joy. Annie first owned a pottery studio, and then became interested in yoga. From there she obtained her yoga teacher certification at Kripalu and has been teaching and practicing the Iyengar type of yoga ever since. She has a wonderful practice, and is extremely warm and welcoming.
            Many people from around the area come to classes. Art and Soul is located on Hampshire Street, near Central Square. It serves as a safe place of relaxation for the people who live around the studio, as well as people who travel. She welcomes everyone, and is very accommodating to those who may not be able to afford a regular practice. Art and Soul is influenced by the things that influence the people who practice there. Many times the space can be rented out by those who come to the studio on a regular basis to do the things they are interested in. Annie has been very influenced by Feldenkrais, which is also held in her studio. The other teachers at Art and Soul bring the things that interest them into the studio, as well. Authentic Movement, Belly Dancing, and acting improvisation classes and workshops are held regularly at the studio as well.
            Annie is strongly influenced by the words of Iyengar, and the Yoga Sutras. Her classes are based heavily on correct alignment. BKS Iyengar said “Correct first from the root.” Annie’s classes are strongly based in the teachings of BKS Iyengar. He believed that perfect alignment was extremely important. He also believed that if you wanted to ‘fix’ your body, you must start from the root, which are the feet. When I attended class, I thought that I would be fine and it would be easy because I’ve been practicing for so long, but even now, after interning there for half a year, there are still some things she will adjust because I’m not correctly aligned. I struggle with this mostly in my down dog. I have a tendency to have one shoulder lower than the other. Another tendency of mine is to collapse in my lower back a lot in things such as upward dog. She is very good at correcting the things she sees in your body that will cause you pain in the long run.
            Classes at Art and Soul are always enjoyable. The thing that I struggle with the most is the pace of the class. The classes that Annie teaches tend to be on the slower side of what I’m used to because she focuses so much on alignment. During class she also brings in her experience with physical therapy exercises, Authentic Movement, and Feldenkrais. I find her classes to be so wonderful because she does not draw solely on her background and training in Iyengar, but also takes things from what she’s learned in other modalities. Her Wednesday night class feels truly like a little community. You can just sense the connectedness there is with everybody. Class does not usually start right at 7:30 because Annie or someone else in the class may pose a question, which turns into a discussion. Her question the other night came from the teachings of the 8 limbs of yoga. We discussed what ahimsa, non-violence, meant to us, and how we practiced it in our everyday lives.  The short meditation to start class is also very wonderful. She usually reads a poem, which I have never encountered before. There is usually a Sanskrit mantra chanted, or just a small time of silence to bring awareness within. The practice itself is usually fairly slow paced, but still invigorating and enjoyable. There is movement created in the class that is more than just asana. A flow of inhale to reverse warrior, exhale to triangle, going with the breath, not holding the pose for too long, just flowing.  I also appreciate the inversions that she teaches. Her shoulder stands are always supported with bolsters or chairs, and she also is wonderful about teaching headstands.
The Iyengar type of yoga is also an extremely prop based practice. Props can be used to enhance a stretch, or help correct alignment. There is a variety of props at the studio. She uses a lot of blankets under the shoulders or buttocks, as well as blocks to use for hand placement if someone is unable to reach the floor. I had never encountered chairs as props before going to Art and Soul. She uses them to do backbends, gentle twists, along with many other things. I found that to be very interesting. It was also something that I really had to get used to, and am still not used to. At my ashtanga practice, I am used to doing everything without props because I am reasonably flexible and can reach the ground or my feet with ease, but even now Annie will have me use props so I’m not over-using my flexibility. That is something that she should really be appreciated for. She has such a wide variety of knowledge about the body, and knows what should or should not be done. 
From the things that I know about yoga or the yoga that I’ve experience, Art and Soul has stayed true to their roots of what they’ve learned and believe. Yoga studios have a tendency to become or are very ‘Americanized’. Many yoga studios in the United States focus on creating an environment in which they can make money. Yoga in many ways has become Americanized. It has become about the Lulu pants, and having a good butt and is moving farther away from a way to quiet the mind and move closer to a place of enlightenment. It has lost its Hinduism aspects and is becoming more and more strictly about the practice. Although, I am more than happy that it is becoming open to all people, it feels as though it’s moving away from what really matters. I know I should not judge because people will take away what they need to take away from it, but it’s a scary thought that America can change the face of yoga. “With its emphasis on using the physical body as a vehicle for spiritual awakening, hatha yoga--formerly a small and obscure corner of the vast yoga firmament--is the branch of yoga that has flourished here most successfully. Never before in the history of yoga has the practice of physical postures assumed the importance that it has in the West” (Cushman 3). Although there has been a rapid change in the way yoga is practiced in America, Art and Soul has managed to stay on the brink of both sides. It caters to the people who may only want a physical practice, but also stays close to its roots by following the teachings of Iyengar and holding a space for people to discuss yogic philosophy and meditate. It is my belief that if someone practices enough and has a truly open mind they will eventually come to want to learn more about the yogic philosophies and teachings. The Americanization of yoga can’t be all bad. If we look on the bright side, at least it is bringing people to yoga, and I hope that they get more out of it than just the purely physical aspect. “It's not surprising that hatha yoga has become so popular in the West. We're a culture that's obsessed with the body--and paradoxically, sadly out of touch with it. Hatha yoga taps into our lust for physical perfection, but at the same time, it gives us a feeling of connection and peace with our bodies that we've yearned for, even if only unconsciously” (Cushman 4).
It is so true that we are out of touch with our bodies but yoga can really change that. Practicing at Art and Soul really taught me how to listen to my body. It is important to not push your body to its limits when stretching and doing the asana. I’ve learned what my edge is, and that is okay to stay wherever I am. That is one of the hardest things to do, but something so wonderful that Annie has taught me. Throughout my internship, we were always talking about the eight limbs of yoga and other teachings of Iyengar and wise men like him. In really delving into the eight limbs, I learned to practice ahimsa in all aspects my life. “And so we start looking to our yoga to give us something other than perfect bodies and charmed lives: an ability to meet whatever is true in our bodies--and our lives--with grace and awareness and compassion” (Cushman 4). Yoga has brought me to that point of wanting to discover myself as who I truly am, and live my life with such gratitude and compassion.
Art and Soul, as well as Annie, has really helped me develop my own opinions and ideas about the eight limbs and the sutras. I really love attending their classes, as many others do. The studio is founded on the teachings of Iyengar, and the yoga philosophy is fully embraced. It is truly an open environment that welcomes everyone and anyone into their community. I would highly recommend this studio to anyone who is looking to slow down and assess the quality of their body and life.



Work Cited
Cushman, A. (n.d.). beliefnet. Retrieved from http://www.beliefnet.com/Wellness/Yoga/How-To-Yoga/Americanized-Yoga.aspx

No comments:

Post a Comment