Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Yoga: Theory, Culture, and Practice

Opening Your Mind

This assignment allowed me to explore and to learn more about the practices of yoga, in terms of theory, culture, and practice. I chose to go to the ISKCON temple in Boston, Massachusetts, which is located on Commonwealth Avenue. This place is an International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON), a religious organization that consists of beliefs that are mainly based on Hindu scriptures. In a way, it could easily be connected with the yoga practices that I have experienced through class, but it is more of a verbal and spiritual way of expressing beliefs, rather than a physical way. Although the process of this assignment included a lot of research, I enjoyed the interactiveness of this new experience that broadened my view not only of yoga, but also in a spiritual religion that I was not previously aware of.
For starters, I approached learning about ISKCON differently than the assignment illustrated. Instead of researching my chosen practice before going, I decided I wanted to discover the practices with a clean mind, without having any sort of preconceptions about what I was about to experience. I felt that by doing this, I would be able to have a constant flow of questions and thoughts running through my mind. Entering an environment that you don't have any information on can turn out to be a good thing, or a bad thing. For me, I enjoyed it and I am happy that I chose to approach it in this way. The ISKCON to me is inspirational, and it provided both inspiration and spiritual strength to me as a visitor.
Even though it was my first time attending, and I am not a member of the temple, they were somewhat accepting. I was expecting that the practices would be based around the physical practices of yoga, so I arrived in workout clothes and with my mat. However, all of the other participants were barefooted, and dressed in traditional clothing. A lot of people there were eyeballing me, but I felt as if they would understand why I had been there, due to the yoga look I had been portraying. This was awkward to me at first, but after being there for a while, I realized that my clothing was not the focus of my being there, that it was the fact that I was accepting of a new culture, and trying to experience it to the fullest.
I began this semester with very little knowledge about yoga or the spirituality associated with it, but my understanding is expanding over the course of the semester. Before visiting the temple, I made a choice to not research where I had planned to go, instead deciding to experience and discover on the spot, and research after. In a way, I know that I wasn't exactly doing what the assignment had asked, but I found that the way I did it opened my view on things and allowed my experience to end up with a different outcome. Even though I didn't research first, I called to make sure it was okay that I attended and observed a session on Sunday. As the day got closer and closer, I began to question myself and wonder what I was getting myself into, and I got a bit nervous going to a new place not knowing what to expect. I kept thinking of things, such as, “how many people will be there, am I going to keep up with whats going on, what is it going to look like, will there be music or will it be silent?” Arriving at my destination, I
found out that it wasn't so bad after all, just an experience that was a bit unexpected to find since they were reaching out spiritually in a different way of practice.
Throughout the session, I experienced a time in which they were singing, chanting, and making beats with a various instruments. Although I didn't quite
understand what they were saying because it was in a different language, I was able to connect to the rhythm and beat, and let my mind wander. That alone gave me a sense of inspiration and a connection that sent a chill down my spine. In a way, the movement was relaxing and easily engaged me into the practice. In a sense the sound of all of this happening at once, made me feel comfortable. It wasn’t an awkward silence, and it was loud and something I could join in by simply clapping my hands with the beat. They were singing songs to their God, and each movement is based around the Lord. “All things are each apart of the lord, that men and gods are but manifestations of the one divine spirit” (Hallsal, Paul). This is from a reading that I did for my history class. I was able to dig deeper into my research, due to the fact that I am currently learning about Ancient China and India. I have found ways to link them together and find out more information to learn from.
While I was there, they also talked about the story and history of Ramayana. Ramayana is one of the great epics of India. Its based off the story of the relationship between Rama and Sita. Not only the relationship, but all of the battles that they had gone through. This story expresses the duties of relationships, while portraying ideal characters like the ideal father, ideal servant, the ideal brother, the ideal wife and the ideal king. It was brought up in this session on October 2nd, because October 5th was the day that Rama killed Savana to set his wife, Sita, free. It is a celebrated not only on this day in this culture, but they celebrate the victory of Rama throughout the month of October. I was glad that I was able to grasp knowledge on the story of them, and found it very interesting. Also, I was happy that I attending the meeting in which they brought that up because it was another source in which I gained further knowledge on this culture. It pushed me to want to learn more about this specific event and understand why it had been such a big deal in their culture.
The ISKCON is beginning to attract many people to the practice, that is known as Krishna Consciousness. “Krishna consciousness, or bhakti-yoga, means how to act in harmony with ultimate reality—the Supreme Person. Bhakti—“devotional service”—is how the bhakta—“devotee”—and Bhagavan—“God, the possessor of all opulences”—relate” (Krishna Con.). This is what the practice of ISKCON is based on, which comes from the Hindu religion and beliefs. Their goal is “Krishna consciousness” and their central practice is chanting the Hare Krishna mantra for which they are named. Not only is the Krishna consciousness a practice, but it is also the goal of the practice. This all links back to the the adventures, legends, myths, history, and superstitions of Hinduism, which began in Western India.
All in all, I had a great experience with this assignment. I reached out and learned so many new things that I actually enjoyed researching and spending my time on. I felt that the steps I took throughout the process were perfect for the outcome, but if there something I could change about the assignment as a whole, it would be for the students to have more time to go further into out studies. I felt a little rushed with everything, but was capable of bringing it all together. The fact that we had to attend a class was what I enjoyed the most. Actually being there and joining in on their practices and session. opening your mind to a whole other outlook on life and way of thinking. I got to go out on my own and go into an environment that I am not use to being around. It really opens the eyes to each student and allows them to view things in other ways, while gaining knowledge on the practices of yoga in theory, culture, and practice.















Bibliography


Hallsal, Paul. "The Bhagavad Gita - INTRODUCTION: Full Text Translation by Sir Edwin Arnold." About Hinduism - What You Need to Know About Hinduism. June 2000. Web. 11 Oct. 2011. .

Knott, Kim. My Sweet Lord: the Hare Krishna Movement. Wellingborough; Aquarian
1986. Print.

"Krishna Consciousness | Krishna.com." Krishna.com | All About Krishna. The

Bhaktivedanta Book Trust International, Inc., 2002. Web. 11 Oct. 2011.

.


Pollock, Sheldon. "In This Issue."The Journal of Asian Studies 62.4 (2003): 261-97. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment